Saturday 3 February 2007

Embrace

Now while he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, many people saw the miraculous signs he was doing and believed in his name. But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all men. He did not need man's testimony about man, for he knew what was in a man. John 2:23-25

REFLECTION
Jesus was doing spectacular, miraculous signs and the people couldn’t believe their ears and eyes. Was it any wonder that the crowds followed him wherever he went? Jesus was a miracle man and again and again he astounded the masses with his powerful words and incredible deeds.
Yes, I’m sure Jesus had many followers. Or should I say: many admirers? What happened to this huge fan club when the hero refused to play in their Superstar movie? Where did they all go when Jesus explained to them that he had to lay down his life for a higher cause than an earthly kingdom?
PRAYER
Dear Lord, your painful question -"You do not want to leave too, do you?" - echoes in my ears and touches my heart. I don’t want to be just an admirer. I want to be your true follower. Yes, I know that this means that I have to carry your cross and that some people will laugh at me, ridicule me and even hate me. So be it. Do I have an option, Lord? I just can’t live without your words of eternal life. I know that you don’t need my testimony, but I do want to run this race until the very end and I trust that you will be waiting for me at the finish line with your arms wide open. This time to embrace me.

6 comments:

Vicki said...

Wow. The image of Jesus waiting for us at the end of our earthly life, with His arms stretched wide, just waiting to give us - ME! - a big ol' bear hug...and welcoming us to dwell with Him forever...that warms my heart and brings tears to my eyes...but it makes me wonder: knowing this, why am I not more willing to to carry that cross alongside Him?

I want His embrace. I know that He loves me - just as I am - and I am amazed that He loves me anyway, and He knows all about me, and He wants me there with Him in spite of my failures...

God is so good.

Paul said...

Amen, Vicki!

I had to think about this Julie Miller song after reading your comment:

How could you say no

Thorns on His head spear in His side
Yet it was a heartache that made Him cry
He gave His life so you would understand
Is there any way you could say no to this Man

If Christ Himself were standing here
Face full of glory and eyes full of tears
And He held out His arms and His nail printed hands
Is there any way you could say no to this Man

How could you look in His tear stained eyes
knowing it's you He's thinking of
Could you tell Him you're not ready to give Him your life
Could you say you don't think you need His love

Jesus is here with His arms open wide
You can see Him with your heart if you'll stop looking with your eyes
He's left it up to you, He's done all that He can
Is there any way you could say no to this Man

How could you look in His tear stained eyes
Knowing it's you He's thinking of
Could you tell Him you're not ready to give Him your life
Could you say you don't think you need His love

Thorns on His head, your life in His hands
Is there any way you could say no to this Man
Is there any way you could say no to this Man

Vicki said...

Paul, I'm not familiar with that song, but the lyrics are wonderful, especially, "...knowing it's you He's thinking of." That sounds almost too good to be true, but thank God, it is the Truth!

I just love this post! Thank you for sharing it!

Art said...

Great post Paul! Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Today in church we were discussing reactions to God’s calling:

"But Lord, how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family." (Gideon)

"Woe to me! I cried. I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty." (Isaiah)

"Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!" (Simon Peter)

“For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect.” (Paul)

Whatever these guys were experiencing, it was the opposite of fandom. They were awed and terrified and understood the cosmic significance of the God who stood before them.

Anonymous said...

Paul,
Thank you for the posting that song. It was sung at my church this past good friday during the living stations and it touched my hearty so powerfully!! The most moving Christian song. God Bless
a fellow sister