Monday 12 February 2007

Water and the Spirit

"I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." John 3:50-8

REFLECTION
Evangelists and TV-preachers didn't invent the idea that we all must be born again. Jesus, the Son of God, told us so! Can you ignore His command? Being born again... how hard can it be? Just like Nicodemus, I can't remember anything from my first birth experience. Just like this Jewish religious leader, I'm not able to enter my mother's womb in order to be born for the second time. It's easy to see that Nicodemus was a Pharisee. Why? Because he took everything so literally. Jesus explained that being born again is a spiritual experience. And just like your first birth, you just have to let it happen. Surrender yourself, humble yourself and allow God's Spirit to breath the new breath of life into your soul!

PRAYER

Father, how hard can it be to become reborn? Thank you that I know that I am born again already. This is not my work, but purely the work of your Holy Spirit. I'm a child of your desire, it was not my decision to be born for the first time. You are my loving Father, and I do choose to entrust my life into your hands. My Deliverer, in this moment I ask you, let everybody who reads these words make a decision to be born again, this time by the cleansing water of your forgiveness and the powerful inspiration of your Holy Spirit. Amen!

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. Johannes 3:16-18

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Beautiful devotional, Paul. I love the way you write - or rather, the way the Holy Spirit guides your writing!