Monday 15 January 2007

Staying with Jesus

The next day John was there again with two of his disciples. When he saw Jesus passing by, he said, "Look, the Lamb of God!" When the two disciples heard him say this, they followed Jesus. Turning around, Jesus saw them following and asked, "What do you want?" They said, "Rabbi" (which means Teacher), "where are you staying?" "Come," he replied, "and you will see." So they went and saw where he was staying, and spent that day with him. It was about the tenth hour. John 1:35-39

REFLECTION
John's disciples were taught by a famous, popular, teacher. People were coming from all places just to listen to John's impressive sermons and to be baptised by him in the river Jordan. John wasn't obsessed with himself because of his fame. Even in his mother's womb he knew the One who was truly superior to him: Jesus Christ, the spotless Lamb of God, Who was taking away the sins of the world.
John didn't hesitate to point his disciples at the Master they had to follow from now on and they did join Jesus straightaway. What did they want? Well, they wanted to be with their Rabbi, their Master, of course! From this day on they wanted to follow him wherever he went. ‘Come, and you will see’, the Master kindly says. Do you hear his words? Do you want to follow him too?

PRAYER
Lord, I really want to be where you are. I want to stay where you live, sit at your table, enjoy your company! I can stay close to you and follow your example, but there are some things that I just can't do. I can't take away my own sins and I can't be reconciled to the Father, made holy in his sight, in my own strength. I want to follow in your footsteps, I want to lay down my old life and I know where I need to kneel down first: at the foot of your cross. I want to kneel with a thankful heart, but I will not linger there long. You are calling me to get up and invite other people to follow you too. Together we are celebrating because of your empty grave; together we are looking in expectation at the clouds that took you up and that will one day bring you back down! Master, can I please stay with you for ever?
‘Come, and you will see’.

Picture used by permission from
Ain Vares

Source image

No comments: