Monday 22 January 2007

Do whatever he tells you

On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus' mother was there, and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. When the wine was gone, Jesus' mother said to him, "They have no more wine."
"Dear woman, why do you involve me?" Jesus replied, "My time has not yet come."
His mother said to the servants, "Do whatever he tells you." John 2:1-5


REFLECTION
The wedding celebration is in full swing, but the wine is in short supply. In fact, there's no wine left at all! Some servants are aware of this painful situation and they know that this is going to be a huge embarrassment for the hosts. Everybody else is having a good time. But does the wedding have to end like this - with no drop of wine left? How long will it take before the guests will go away one by one, leaving the young married couple behind, embarrassed and ashamed? Jesus' mother knows what to do. Maria knows that her son is a serious man, but she also knows that he has a good heart and that he genuinely loves people. He is able to save the day and his mother trusts that he will do just that. It looks like everything is lost, but Jesus doesn't let her down. And his mother's good advice - do whatever he tells you - is still valid. Even today!

PRAYER
Lord, sometimes I find myself in a painful situation and I don't know what to do about it. Maybe other people don't want to bother you with such worries, but I just share my small and big problems with you. Maybe there will be a way out if I am patient enough; perhaps I have to think of something to change the situation myself. But if there's no solution at all, I can only hope that you will perform one of your miracles. I don't know what to do in all circumstances, but I do know that I want to be your faithful servant. Please Lord, tell me what to do and I will obey - even if I don't have a clue.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I love about this story is the sheer extravagance of Jesus’ gift. Jesus turned six stone jars into wine—something like 120-180 gallons. There’d already been wine served. Jesus provided more (and better) wine than was necessary, just as his grace is more abundant than we will ever need.

Paul said...

Thanks for your comment, Carol. He fills my cup till it overflows... Yes, what a great, extravagant & generous Friend we have in Jesus!