Friday 2 November 2007

Do not let your hearts be troubled

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going." John 14:1-4

REFLECTION

Jesus was preparing his disciples for his departure. It strikes me that Jesus had already started talking about his upcoming death in John 12 (this book has 21 chapters). Based on this, I think that Jesus took the time to make sure that his friends were well-prepared for the things to come. Still, we now know that many of these words were not remembered by Jesus' disciples at the times when they really needed to remember them. Often they panicked first - and only afterwards did they realize that this was exactly what their Lord had predicted…
Today we can still hold on to Jesus words: "Do not let your heart be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me."
Remember that the skilled Master Carpenter is preparing a home for us where we will live in eternity. I'm sure that this house will be breathtakingly beautiful, but what I am really looking forward to is being in Jesus' presence forever!

PRAYER
Thank You, Lord Jesus, for giving us so many promises. I know that you are making a home for me! I like to come home, Lord. I like to be in my safe, welcoming environment together with all the people I deeply love. I also like to be in your presence, right here, right now - in this quiet moment. You make me feel at home.
But you also know that this earth is not a hospitable, friendly place for all people. I pray for those people who are longing to be taken away out of their misery - the people who have every reason in the world to long for a better place. Encourage and strengthen your children Lord, please give them courage and help them to keep the faith. Give them strength to be homemakers - even if all their efforts are taken for granted and they don't receive any love or appreciation in return.
Thank you for this eternal perspective: one day we will be with you forever! When I think about this future, I can hardly wait. But I will be patient, not waiting passively or fearfully, but confidently looking forward to meeting you and the Father. Amen

No comments: