Sunday 30 September 2007

Only one priority

Now there were some Greeks among those who went up to worship at the Feast. They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, with a request. "Sir," they said, "we would like to see Jesus." Philip went to tell Andrew; Andrew and Philip in turn told Jesus.

Jesus replied, "The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me. John 12:20-26

REFLECTION
Jewish men had to travel to Jerusalem three times a year in order to participate in the most important feasts. They were accompanied by foreigners - people who lived side by side with Jewish believers and who were converted to Judaism.
It's easy to miss this point, but John tells us about some Greek men who were trying to get in touch with Jesus via two of his disciples. During the Succot celebration (Feast of Tabernacles) some Jews had already wondered whether Jesus was planning to travel abroad in order to teach the Jewish believers who were living scattered among Greeks because of the diaspora. This was their interpretation of Jesus' prophetic words, as recorded in John 7: ‘"I am with you for only a short time, and then I go to the one who sent me. You will look for me, but you will not find me; and where I am, you cannot come."
These mysterious, intriguing words - that make perfect sense to us now - were very confusing for the Jewish audience: The Jews said to one another, "Where does this man intend to go that we cannot find him? Will he go where our people live scattered among the Greeks, and teach the Greeks? What did he mean when he said, 'You will look for me, but you will not find me,' and 'Where I am, you cannot come'?" ’
Jesus was determined. He was going to fulfill his mission - nothing could stop him, nobody could distract him. His journey would lead him through hell and back and his purpose was to bring eternal life to all who put their trust in him!

PRAYER
Thank you, Lord Jesus, for going all the way. Thank you for your willingness to lay down your life for us. Of course there were plenty of people trying to get your attention, asking for some of your time, claiming you for their own agenda. It's good to know that you instructed your servant Paul to go to the Greeks - and other nations - several years later, so that he could proclaim the liberating good news of your death and resurrection. Thank you for sticking to that one priority in your life: doing your Father's will. We can live our lives for you, because you stayed focused on God's purposes. Yes, I do want to be your servant and I am happy that I can represent you right where you've put me on this earth. Help me to bring the good news to other people. And it's such a relief to know that you are with me!

1 comment:

Carol Douglas said...

When people speculated on Sukkot, “Will he go where our people live scattered among the Greeks, and teach the Greeks?” they were in a sense right. Not in a strictly literal sense, but Jesus, through his Apostles, went throughout the Greco-Roman world after being rejected in Jerusalem.

Thanks for pointing that aspect of the story out to me. I never noticed it before.

And I read these words after a lovely Sukkot celebration this afternoon which brought to mind Keats’ “To Autumn”:

“Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness!
Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun;
Conspiring with him how to load and bless
With fruit the vines that round the thatch-eaves run;
To bend with apples the moss'd cottage-trees,
And fill all fruit with ripeness to the core;
To swell the gourd, and plump the hazel shells
With a sweet kernel; to set budding more,
And still more, later flowers for the bees,
Until they think warm days will never cease,
For Summer has o'er-brimm'd their clammy cells…”

My gosh, it’s a beautiful world!