Monday 18 June 2007

He calls me by my name

"I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice." John 10:1-5

REFLECTION
You can follow a stranger for a while without noticing that he is leading you astray. Listen to his voice. Do you hear words of truth, mercy, wisdom and forgiveness? No? You are not following the Good Shepherd. Do you see a shepherd who is going ahead of his flock, who is leading by example, who is protecting and guiding, who is making sure that his sheep are safe and sound? No? You are not following the Good Shepherd.
Just be quiet now. You must know that there are many misleading voices in this world. Recognize that one voice that sounds convincing, honest, firm and kind, strong and merciful. That’s my Shepherd. Don’t follow fakes.

PRAYER
Jesus, I can hear your voice in a stadium full of screaming people. Shepherd, I can feel your strong hands, your mighty arms carrying me through lonely moments when darkness is all around. Lord and Saviour, with you I have nothing to fear.
I recognize your voice, because this is not my first day in your herd. Your voice sounds familiar to me, your presence makes me feel secure. And it is not difficult to hear your voice, because you call me by my name and my heart surrenders to you and to you alone.
Please forgive me, Lord Jesus. I can be such a stupid sheep. I’ve been walking away from you, even when I heard your voice calling out my name. I am so thankful that you brought me back so that I can stay with you. Yes, you truly are my Good Shepherd and I love you deeply!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so thankful that He is persistent and never stops calling us to Him.